This is a big match. Lose and the US is all but out. Win and a very good chance of advancing. Draw and it will be nailbiting time.
Typically, the US has struggled against well organized teams or Eastern European teams. Slovenia is both. Slovenia seems to be content sitting back on defense and waiting for the counter. The US has real trouble creating opportunities against these type of teams, which is why I think we will see Jose Francisco Torres instead of Ricardo Clark in central midfield. Torres will add some creativity to break down the Slovenians.
The US will have to be patient and not try too hard to push forward because once you do, you open yourself up to a counter attack. The US has shown in the tune up matches that the defense is quite weak against the counter attack and will need to be more disciplined.
I would think the only other question for the US lineup is who partners Jozy up top. Will Coach Bradley go with speed in Findley or the in form finishers of Gomez or Buddle? I am partial to Gomez, but I think Slovenia is not comfortable defending the speed that Findley brings and holes may open up.
It looks like Slovenia looks to Robert Koren to create their attack. I would envision Michael Bradley being tasked to shadow him and not give him any space to work in.
I will be watching the match at Dantanna's in the CNN Center. Hope to see you there!
GO YANKS! I say the US win 2-1.
How about this from SoccerbyIves.net (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/06/usa-world-cup-notes-howard-on-slovenia-win-guarantee-talk-is-cheap.html):
ReplyDelete"From 1994 to now, the United States hasn't beaten a World Cup opponent who wasn't a group favorite heading into the tournament. Both of their group stage wins since 1994 have come against group favorites (Colombia in 1994, Portugal in 2002). During that time, the Americans are winless against all non-Group favorites."