Ok, is Group C going to be the group of keeper errors? First, England's Robert Green gifts the US a goal on Saturday for the draw. Then, Algeria's Faouzi Chaouchi gifts Slovenia the winning goal on Sunday.
I tried to watch the Slovenia v Algeria match on Sunday, but it was tough because there was just no flow at all. Algeria seemed to be really defensive and as was pointed out at the half were essentially playing with 3 center backs. That makes them really tough to break down unless you have some good passers (i.e., Spain).
I did not get much of a takeaway on Slovenia other than they did not particularly seem as comfortable on the ball as a top side would, but the US will need to watch out for Robert Koren. It seems like Slovenia really looks to him to create their attacking movements. I think if we keep pressure on their midfield it could lead to some good chances.
I thought the Group D matches were good. Ghana v Serbia had many chances for a 1-0 match. Both teams probably should have scored at least 2 each. Man, I really wish Essien could have been there to lead the Black Stars, but they were still impressive without him. Serbia seemed to do better with a man down and the keeper, Richard Kingson, had to make a great save to keep the score at 0-0 before Ghana went on to get a late penalty.
Germany completely dominated Australia, especially after Australia's emotional leader, Tim Cahill, was sent off for what I thought was a harsh straight red card. Bastian Schweinsteiger has even come out and said the tackle was not worthy of a red card.
No comments:
Post a Comment